This is amazing!! Made this for a lunch party and it rocked! Slightly intimidating but not as much as you’d think and completely worth the effort.
For the meringue:
- 175g ground Hazelnuts, plus some roughly chopped to decorate
- 4 medium egg whites
- 100g light brown sugar
- 125g caster sugar
- Line two baking sheets with baking parchment and draw a 20cm circle on each. (Turn parchment over so that the pencil marks are underneath.
- Beat the egg whites into stiff peaks. Mix the sugars together and very gradually add to the eggs whilst beating. You should end up with a glossy mixture and the peaks should just flop over at the tips. Fold in 125g of the Hazelnuts being careful not to lose any air. Spread onto the baking sheets using the circles as a guide. Sprinkle over some roughly chopped hazelnuts in the centre
- Bake at 150°c in a preheated oven for 1hr 30mins. After baking turn off the oven but do NOT open the door and leave inside to dry out.
- Meanwhile warm 125g of plain chocolate with 150ml of double cream gently until fully melted. Stir in the remaining 50g of Hazelnuts, leave to cool and refrigerate. Allow the mixture to soften for 1 hour at room temperature before using.
- Spread the ganache over one round followed by 300ml of whipped cream. Place the other round on top and refrigerate for 2hrs before serving, Enjoy!